Running away ... a plea for help
- Physical abuse
- Difficulties with parents
- Peer pressure
- Sexual abuse
- Getting thrown out
These are only a few of the many reasons why youth run away from home. Most are not running to
something, but away from overwhelming problems. Every year, 1.3 million children across the country run away from home
and about 5,000 runaway and homeless children die from assault, illness and suicide. In Texas, more than 100,000
children ages 7 to 17 run away annually.
Confidential hotline services
We are dedicated to helping youth and family members in need of assistance. After assessing
callers' problems, telephone counselors help them consider options, explore the facts and their feelings,
and develop sensible plans of action.
The hotline also provides
- comprehensive information and referrals to counseling, medical assistance and related services;
- conference calls to parents;
- conference calls to shelters and agencies in the caller's area to confirm appropriate and available services;
- a message relay service that helps runaways contact families on their own terms, which not only helps give
parents peace of mind, but promotes communication; and
- assistance to runaways who wish to access Operation Home Free, a service that provides them with free
What can I do?
You can help runaway and homeless youths who are living on the streets of Texas by
becoming a volunteer at the Texas Runaway Hotline.
The hotline needs people to work on the telephone, as well as outreach volunteers to assist with publicity projects
Hotline volunteers receive:
- more than 40 hours of specialized training;
- valuable experience for those who are considering a career in human services;
- a choice of hours to fit their schedules; and
- respect and recognition because volunteers are our most valuable resource.
For more information
P.O. Box 149030
Austin, Texas 78714-9030
Call the Texas Runaway Hotline, day or night, Toll Free
Back to Crime Victim Information
Copyright Humble Police Department © 2009 All Rights Reserved
Location: 310 Bender Avenue Humble TX 77338
Phone: 281.446.7127 - Emergency: 9-1-1